Thursday, February 21, 2013

Surprises abound in the food stamp challenge....

I have to admit that I don't cook and I don't shop for food - I am fortunate enough my husband does this :-) but he told me I am 'on my own' in this challenge. So it was with some trepidation I committed to the challenge.

Some surprises I discovered so far:
  • I don't know how much I really eat. I spent $30.65 and don't think I will be able to eat all the food I bought at Grocery Outlet!
  • I am finding it harder than I thought forgoing my daily (sometimes multiple times a day) Peets/Starbucks and I was unable to buy the Peets coffee beans for my morning coffee at home (it would be more than 25% of the weekly allowance), switching to tea is not cutting it :-)
  • I am a creature of habit and not everything I eat is available at one shop (I was unable to get  Morning Star Vegetarian Sausage patties, which are a staple for me)
  • I like to shop with my conscience and this just wasn't possible on $37. Organic spinach and vegetables, cage-free vegetarian fed no-hormones/antibiotic eggs, vegetarian meat substitutes, these are all high price items that didn't make it into my basket this week. 
So although I felt I bought lots of food and this week was going to be just fine, I didn't realize the multitude of choices I make around food and beverages each day that I just didn't consider. Living on $37 each week, having to balance nutrition, eco-friendly choices, and treats takes thought and practice. I have a new appreciation for what our clients face.

This is such an enlightening experience, I would encourage everyone to try it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sonya,

    Liked your post - you are doing great on your food purchases for the challenge - you even have some money left over.

    Grocery Outlet gets in some great buys on organic food from time to time. Here are some of the organic items they have had in the last several months: Imagine Organic Soup in 32 ounce cartons for a $1.49, Romaine Lettuce 3 heart pack for a $1.49, carrots 2 pounds for $1.99 - not a very low price at $1.00 a pound, Stonyfield Greek yogurt 5.3 once size 3 for a $1.00, green tea 100 bags for around $3.75 - a mere .04 cents a bag, Stonyfield vanilla frozen yogurt 32 ounce carton $2.49 - Whole Foods price is $5.99

    In March 2012, I lived on $4.50 a day for the entire month eating only organic food. I managed to save $9.00 so I could go a buffet restaurant for my birthday. I had plenty of energy for cardiovascular exercise and strength training - could do 8 pull ups and 8 chin ups. My hunger was manageable and it helped me not overeat at night. I lost about a pound and half during the month and had to tighten my belt.

    ReplyDelete