Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 1 of Challenge

Welcome to Day 1 of the Challenge. Last year I successfully did the $4.50 a day Food Stamp Challenge from January through March. Living on $5.32 a day is very doable with some planning.

I did my shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market and Grocery Outlet. I did not use any coupons for several reasons. Most coupons are for prepared foods and these types of foods are usually more expensive and are usually not as healthy as homemade. Grocery Outlet only accepts coupons they issue, and there were not any current coupons. Sprouts Farmers Market had a coupon last week for $5.00 off a total purchase of $30.00 or more. Unfortunately, the coupon was in the weekly ad that was mailed to me and not in the weekly ad available at the store. I received the weekly ad in the mail a day later than usual, so I did not have the coupon when I went shopping.

My food for the challenge is Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian - Only animal products that I am eating are milk and eggs - I can also eat cheese but did not find any low enough priced.

Here is a tip that I have found helpful. Before you go shopping, decide what you want to accomplish in addition to staying within budget.

My goals:

• Get at least 5 to 7 servings a day from the fruit/vegetable food group
• Have an adequate amount of food to eat
• Get an adequate amount of protein and fiber
• Low sodium intake
• Have tasty and filling food
• Not too concerned about having a great variety of food because challenge is only for a week

Some other tips:

• Beans and grains that you cook are great way to save money because they are low priced when compared to other food options - additionally many of them are a good source of protein, fiber and other nutrients
• Making bread is economical and fairly easy - it can be made just using flour, yeast and water - whole wheat flour is best because of nutrition and taste
• Tofu is a good source for a complete protein and is often a more economical choice than meat or poultry
• Canned and frozen fruits and vegetables are often a better buy during the winter than fresh - canned and frozen foods are usually harvested at the peak of ripeness when nutrient levels are often at their peak

No comments:

Post a Comment